So far, many threats by negligent and not sufficiently educated snorkelers and divers put additional pressure on coral reefs all over the world: such as stepping or standing on corals, breaking and damaging corals or disturbing animal life, as well as leaving garbage and crashing anchors on corals to moor the boats―all of which could be obviated quite easily.
Apart from SECORE's direct efforts in coral reef protection and restoration, we started a campaign with TUI Cruises and Futouris e.V. in 2013 to raise public awareness among the many tourists and local dive guides. Knowledge on coral reef ecology and how to implement sustainable tourism is shared with visiting snorkelers and divers, as well as local ones.
Be a considerate and careful snorkeler and diver―don't leave a trace!
Flyer how to be a sustainable snorkeler and diver can be downloaded here:
Poster with information on coral reefs and environmental friendly snorkeling and diving can be downloaded here:
Feel free to share flyer and poster with your colleagues, friends and family. Feel free to use flyer and poster in your dive shop. Please contact us if you have any questions, remarks or want to partner with us.
Make a difference – help saving coral reefs!
What can you do?
- Don’t leave a trace except your footsteps in the sand: Take back any garbage, throw nothing overboard!
- The only thing to touch is your own equipment: Do not touch animals under water―no feeding or teasing (e.g. with your snorkel); don’t pick up stuff like shells or rocks; take care when taking photos and use your flash as seldom as possible!
- Be vigilant and careful in the water: Not only for your dive buddy, but especially for corals around you, keep your distance (if you dive, exercise your buoyancy control well); do not stand or step on corals and if possible, not even on the sand; make sure your fins do not hit anything!
- Support coral reef conservation―your help is needed: Support eco-friendly diving schools, ask them to be a responsible operator and to educate their diving guests well; join initiatives for the environment; take part in underwater and beach cleans if you get the chance!
- Spread the word to all water lovers and beyond: Dive and snorkel environmentally friendly! Inform your fellow travellers, family and friends; show others how to dive sustainably!